Disability:IN joins our corporate partners and the global disability community to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on May 20, 2021. GAAD recognizes what Disability:IN knows to be true: there is no disability inclusion without digital accessibility.
Disability:IN is the leading nonprofit resource for business disability inclusion worldwide, and our vision is simply stated: “An inclusive global economy where people with disabilities participate fully and meaningfully.” Our work reflects our understanding that digital accessibility is fundamental to that vision.
- Our July conference will feature a tech plenary hosted by Jenny Lay-Flurrie, Microsoft ‘s Chief Accessibility Officer. Sessions in the conference tech track, led by corporate leaders in digital accessibility, will offer actionable takeaways for companies at all stages of the accessibility journey.
- Our Accessibility Leadership Committee is comprised of corporate leaders from more than 50 United States and global organizations who gather to share and learn best practices for implementing digital accessibility across the enterprise.
- Our growing digital accessibility resource library includes practical information to help our partners and the public bake accessibility into all digital technology and content. These resources include our Accessible Procurement Toolkit, Digital Accessibility Statement Best Practices, and a webinar titled “Digital Accessibility, Getting 2021 Off to an Inclusive Start.” Find more accessibility resources here.
- Our Inclusion Works program offers digital accessibility resources, training, support, and connections to companies on the disability inclusion journey.
- The Disability Equality Index, our joint initiative with the American Association of People with Disabilities helps companies build a roadmap of measurable actions to advance disability inclusion and has recently been modernized to help organizations assess and improve elements of the digital accessibility journey.
This year we celebrate GAAD on May 25 with a webinar open to the public. Our speakers bring a collective 98 years of experience to the topic of “Best Practices for Accessible, Inclusive Communication.” Register here for this free offering.
Ten years ago, GAAD was founded by Jennison Asuncion (Head of Accessibility (A11y) Engineering Evangelism at our partner LinkedIn) and Joe Devon, Co-founder of the inclusive digital agency Diamond. From one blog post and a connection on Twitter (another Disability:IN partner), GAAD was born. (Read more about GAAD’s origin.)
On this 10th anniversary Disability:IN extends our congratulations to GAAD’s founders as we celebrate our partners’ commitment to an inclusive digital world for employees, customers, and the public. We are honored to work together to advance digital accessibility across the globe.