Checklist for Creating Inclusive & Accessible Social Media Content
Social media is an essential channel for daily communication and connection for most people. However, social media can pose accessibility challenges for many people with disabilities. This checklist is designed to help each of us create social content that everyone can access.
✓Alt-Text: provide a textual description of the visual components in an image to make your image accessible to screen reader users.
✓Video Descriptions: include textual descriptions of video content to make videos accessible to blind or low vision viewers.
✓Ensure that videos include captions: include captions to make videos accessible to deaf and hard of hearing viewers.
✓Provide transcripts for video or audio content: include transcripts to make videos accessible to deaf, hard of hearing, and deafblind viewers.
✓Use Camel Case hashtags: capitalize the first letter of each word in a hashtag to make them more readable, particularly for someone using a screen reader.
✓Plain Language: create posts that use simple, clear, concise and jargon-free language.
✓Meaningful hyperlinks: on social media, introduce what the link is for and where it will lead someone.
Other Tips to Keep in Mind:
- Accessibility is a journey. Educate yourself on accessibility and authentic representation. Then share what you’ve learned across your organization.
- Codify best practices by establishing accessibility guidelines and posting them to a central location where they can be accessed globally.
- Leverage partnerships to help you achieve your disability inclusion and accessibility journey.
- Spread the knowledge. Educate yourself and share what you’ve learned with others.
- Start small; identify one action you can take to advance accessibility in your social posts. Once you’ve mastered this element, move on to the next one!
Explore more from Disability:IN Partners:
- Video Example: Amazon Fire expands Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids to Cochlear implants https://bit.ly/3AbbtnQ
- Video Example: Amazon Accessibility Vignettes https://bit.ly/3mEtgAX
- Leverage resources from partners (like Disability:IN!): Creating Accessible Social Media Content and Are Your Marketing & Communications Accessible (Webinar)
- Dive into Accessible Communications: Take the 21-Day Challenge by Current Global https://bit.ly/43KE01i