Who We Are
Disability:IN is the leading nonprofit resource for business disability inclusion worldwide. Our network of more than five hundred corporations expands opportunities for people with disabilities across industries.
We are currently positioned in a critical growth period. In 2022, we experienced a 30% increase in Disability Equality Index participants (415 vs. 319 including sixty-nine of the Fortune 100) and more than 125 CEOs have signed the CEO Letter on Disability Inclusion. We also announced that more than 300,000 people with disabilities have been hired at leading companies through the Inclusion Works program, and we were named one of Fast Company’s 2021 Brands that Matter. Each year we host 150+ virtual events of varying sizes in addition to our conference which brings in 2,500+ in person attendees as well as 2,000+ virtual attendees.
As we look to the future, we are driven by opportunities to expand our global reach, move the needle on digital accessibility, progress our ESG and policy agenda, and advance our mission to build an inclusive global economy.
What We Do
Disability:IN promotes disability inclusion by heightening awareness, advising corporations, and sharing proven strategies for including people with disabilities in the workplace, supply chain, and marketplace. We expand opportunities for people with disabilities by helping companies invigorate their disability initiatives, explore best practices, incorporate culture changes, and realize positive business outcomes
This individual will have primary responsibility for providing legal counsel and support to all areas of Disability:IN, including the Leadership Team, programs, HR, IT, finance, and more. This person will also manage a variety of outside counsel relationships and will be the primary contact for all internal and external stakeholders in regard to legal affairs. This position is the first full-time employee Disability:IN has had to provide in-house legal counsel. This individual should be comfortable with ambiguity and creating a function from the ground up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise and counsel the Leadership Team on all legal matters, strategic priorities, policy determinations, and business considerations.
- Manage all outside counsel relationships.
- Provide proactive counsel and guidance on legal implications of organizational matters.
- Ensure that Disability:IN is compliant with federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
- Provide counsel on issues related to privacy and cyber security, including GDPR and other international privacy laws.
- Review and develop all agreements including complex contracts, MOUs, partnership agreements, and other relevant agreements.
- Experience with international agreements, policies, and compliance.
- Work with the Human Resources to advise on administrative matters, personnel policies, and compliance.
- In collaboration with the CEO and COO, evaluate and revise Board governance policies and practices.
- Work with outside counsel to track and evaluate trademark and other IP protections.
- As necessary, serve as Disability:IN’s legal liaison to external organizations.
Work Schedule, Location, and Travel Requirements:
- Disability:IN is a fully remote organization. All employees are expected to operate independently from their home offices daily.
- Must be willing to travel 2-3 times per year.
- Flexible work hours leading up to and during events, and a willingness to work outside of typical U.S. working hours, given global reach of organization.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Future salary adjustments will be based on individual and organizational performance.
- Disability:IN offers generous benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a retirement plan, flex spending accounts, and unlimited paid time off
Education and Experience:
- Education: Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in a U.S. state and willingness to waive into Virginia as a corporate counsel.
- 5-7 years of related experience in a law firm or a nonprofit organization, ideally with international reach.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills (communication, listening, decision-making) with the ability to work well and effectively with internal departments, partners, and external vendors.
- Flexible and adaptable thinker, open-minded problem-solver with an ability to produce results despite changing or ambiguous circumstances, adaptive and willing to take on a variety of new assignments.
- Lifelong learner who is comfortable with independent learning
- High level of organization, attention to detail and follow-through
- Integrity, judgment, and discretion: Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Adaptive and willing to take on a variety of new assignments.
- Ability to successfully prioritize, manage, and execute multiple projects with accuracy while balancing multiple events and shifting timelines.
- Ability to thrive in working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic and high-pressure environments.
- Effective collaborator across teams.
- Ability to produce results despite changing or ambiguous circumstances.
- Proficiency with Zoom and Office 365 products.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to accessibility and disability inclusion
- Embody the organizational values: integrity, impact and quality, and inclusion
- Foster a high standard of ethics and instill mutual trust and confidence
- High tolerance for ambiguity; must be flexible and comfortable with unstructured time
- Driven, self-motivated, and willing to take initiative
Please follow this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=86832109-7bf3-4e9a-ae0d-a61b9d915265&ccId=19000101_000001&lang=en_US
The Senior Director, Legal Affairs may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Disability:IN is an equal opportunity employer.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or related medical conditions, protected veteran status, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation in school, family responsibilities, political affiliation, genetic information, unemployment status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Download Job Description DOCX