Public Webinar: Congressional Insider’s Reflections on the ADA- Past, Present, and Future
July 27, 2020 @ 12:00 – 1:00 pm Eastern
Presenter: Robert “Bobby” Silverstein, Principal, Powers Pyles Sutter & Verville PC
Bobby Silverstein, the former chief congressional aide to Senator Tom Harkin (the chief sponsor of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)) and current principal in the Washington DC-based Powers Law firm, will reflect on the efforts by the business and disability communities to enact the ADA and analyze emerging ADA implementation challenges, including a range of issues affecting people with disabilities such as voluntary affirmative action and self-identification and self-disclosure; artificial intelligence; the gig economy; accessibility of websites, online systems, and mobile apps; personal assistance services; and service and assistance animals.
Learning objectives include identifying and describing the:
- Role of the business community and the disability community in securing enactment of the ADA.
- Four goals of disability policy and core principles of equal opportunity/nondiscrimination articulated in the ADA.
- Emerging ADA implementation issues such as:
- Voluntary affirmative action recruitment and hiring policies and practices;
- Accessibility of websites and online systems;
- Centralized accommodation funds;
- Screening applicants using artificial intelligence;
- Personal assistance services;
- COVID-19; and
- Gig economy (employees vs. independent contractors).